When we had our little ones just like any other parent, our hearts raced towards getting our space child proofed. We wanted to make sure nothing was a danger for them around. We got those electrical plugs, baby gates, baby monitors and on as y’all may know if you have ever taken this route.
That is a good thing to do if I may say, but they will still survive with or without these gadgets.
Considering the effort we put into childproofing our homes for the little ones, we tend to forget major or perhaps what I would call true childproofing that is truly intended for the physical and mental safety of our little ones.
Let’s talk about a few areas that I consider under the rules of childproofing;
- Our language; when we have children, it’s very important to know and be very watchful about the language we are using in our homes because our little ones are listening and ready to copy the exact words we are using as they grow. I am not just talking about curse words but also questionable expressions.
- Our actions; it’s amazing how sharp those little eyes are. Even at a very young age, we all know that our little ones watch our actions. They will watch the way we communicate as parents towards one another and also toward others outside the home thus being important to behave in a way worth imitating.
- A safe home; It’s our job as parents to make sure that our children don’t get any harm especially in the home. We cannot assume that everything is okay. We need to completely take precautions when leaving our children with others, we need to be sure of the people we invite in our homes and perhaps learn to pay attention to our little ones’ surroundings at all times.
- Media; It’s the movies, television shows, music, books, magazines that may be acceptable to adults but most definitely not for kids’ eyes and ears. It’s very important that as parents, we stay very mindful of little hearts that we are nurturing. Again, they pick up a lot from their surroundings.
- Our life style; this runs from the jobs we may choose to do, to the friends we have around. How safe or good are they for our babies?
All in all, our little ones are important. More so, creating an all-around childproofed home for them is very important and ought to be taken seriously. Their hearts are little and open to whatever is placed around them, Their little eyes watch every step we take and yes they may grow to take similar steps, their ears listen to the words we utter and I know for a fact, at some point we get to hear ourselves through them; they copy our words. These are little ones that God has placed under our care to love and protect.
Like I always say, this time is only for a moment. A season; one of raising our little ones. Let’s seek to do it well with all our might.
When we are done raising our children, I pray and hope that we will not regret not childproofing our homes.
“Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.”