I found this recipe the other day and modified it to my family’s liking. We love Quinoa but the thought of it as the main ingredient in a cake just did not sound right. With a little faith in the original recipe, I decided to give it a try today.
Wow, who knew a gluten free cake could be so moist and yummy at the same time.
- 2 cups cooked and cooled quinoa (about 1/2 cup uncooked)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×13 pan.
- Combine the milk, eggs, vanilla and oils in a blender . Process just until combined. Add the cooked quinoa and blend well until smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the contents from the blender and mix with a wooden spoon or whisk until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepaired baking pan and bake on a middle rack for 30 minutes or until a knife or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Serve with “Coco-whip”, ice cream or as is.